Top Six Things To Look For In A Metal Roof
We hope that this finds you well and enjoying a good summer. We’ve been very busy, and it looks like this will be yet another record-breaking year for the residential metal roofing industry. If you’re shopping for a metal roof, we have put together the following “Top Six” list of things to look for in your metal roof. Not all metal roofs offer these features, but we think you will agree they are very important.
- Kynar 500 or Hylar 5000 coatings.Available in many colors and even multi-hued shades, these coatings offer the best combination of durability and fade resistance. Additionally, many people choose metal roofs in order to avoid the streaking and staining that attacks granulated-surface shingles. Kynar 500 and Hylar 5000 finishes offer the best resistance to streaking and staining.
- “Self-Cleaning” Valleys.Although you may not often think about it, a lot of debris ends up on your roof. As things like tree leaves, pine needles, seed pods, ice, and snow travel down your roof, they end up in any valleys your roof may have. Many metal roofs have “closed” valley systems with hidden waterways to channel water off of the roof. These hidden waterways, however, will clog up with debris and then the water path is blocked and bad things (leaks!) happen. “Self-Cleaning” valleys carry the water and debris on top of the roof and can’t clog.
- Premium Certified Products. The Metal Construction Association has developed a Quality Certification Program which recognizes products and manufacturers that meet high levels of standards in terms of raw materials and processes. We strongly encourage products and manufacturers that are part of this program.
- Special Flashings.Many roofs have areas which require special care. With metal roofing, you can’t just depend upon sealants in those areas like is often done with temporary roofing materials. If your roof has dead valleys, skylights, chimneys, flared gables, or other unusual things, make sure that you understand exactly how these will be handled by your contractor.
- Warranties.Make sure you know exactly what warranties you will be receiving, and who they are from. You should receive warranties covering the installation workmanship, the product, and also the integrity of the raw materials that go into the product.
- Ventilation. We find that most homes can benefit from increased attic ventilation. Good ventilation will keep your home cooler in the summer, and also help avoid ice dams while making sure your insulation is dry and performing well in the winter. It can also help avoid rot and mold In your home. Re-roofing is the perfect time to address your home’s ventilation. Professional roofing contractors will be able to review this with you as well.
Finally, let us know how we can help you. Whether you’re considering a Classic Metal Roof or a roof from someone else, we are available to help you sort through all of the information and make the best choice for you and your home. Feel free to email your questions to us at , or give us a call at 1-800-543-8938. We have the industry’s finest when it comes to folks who know and understand metal roofing and we’re here to serve you.
Want To Keep Tabs On Us?
Buying a new roof is a big decision and we know you will be doing your research. If you're still in the early stages and just want to keep in contact with us, sign up for our monthly email newsletter. Thousands of homeowners subscribe to our newsletter for its fun and informative content on home maintenance. Plus it's a great way to stay in touch!